- How does it taste? Can I brew something as good as the commercial brands? Answers is yes, you can brew beer that is actually better than commercial brands.
- How long does it take to brew beer? Answer is depends, some beer may take as quick as 3 weeks from start to drink it, some my take several weeks. The brewing by itself takes about 3h for malt extract brewing and 5 to 6h for all grain brewing. These two options will be explored in detail on later posts.
- How much does it cost in equipment to start? Basic equipment runs around $200. Cost of ingredients to brew 5gals of beer cost about $40, which translate to about $1 per 12oz bottle.
We are still looking for the buzz and the basic process is to let a sweet liquid (wort) to ferment in a more controlled environment. The sugars used for beer come from barley malt and fermentation from selected yeast strains. The yeast will transform the sugars into CO2 and alcohol and that is it, you have beer.
- Dissolve the malt extract in water and boils for 1h, adding spices and other additives.
- Cool the wort to room temp (70-80F) and pitch the yeast.
- Let it ferment for couple of days until fermentation is completed
- Bottle the beer
- Let it sit for few weeks to clear and mellow the flavors.
- Enjoy your homemade beer.
There is a lot more to each of these steps, but not rocket science at all. On my next post, I'll add a list of basic equipment to start home brewing and further, a recipe and step by step process for a first batch of homemade beer.